Because we care
We're here to make a difference
Integrating into Plymouth
English classes run by a team of volunteers at our centre in Plymouth three days a week.
Walking and social activities
IT Suite with internet access (thanks to a grant from the Big Lottery) providing an essential way of keeping in contact with family, friends and legal representatives.
Securing rights by providing advocacy and advice
We help asylum seekers to understand their rights and responsibilities, particularly regarding housing, support, healthcare and the legal options open to them if their claim is refused.
Our case workers and volunteers provide specialist, impartial advice to asylum seekers in Devon and Cornwall. We work closely with health services, solicitors, local charities and Plymouth City Council to provide a comprehensive package of support for our service users.
An ever growing need
Why are we needed?
Delays in the asylum process and being denied the right to work leaves asylum seekers lacking in confidence and the necessary skills to integrate into British society.
Our aim is to promote independence, prevent destitution and encourage integration of our service users into the local community.
- We make sure that service users get decent legal representation during their asylum claim, as Legal Aid only cover eight working hours of a solicitors time.
- We explain their rights and responsibilities, particularly regarding housing, support and healthcare.
- We help asylum seekers who are without housing or any financial support.
- We help asylum seekers who are lacking in confidence with the necessary skills to integrate into British society.
- We seek to improve the physical and mental health among asylum seekers caused by inadequate health services in their country of origin.
- We signpost to various other partner organisations with cases of torture, modern-day slavery and once they have gained refugee status.
We Need your Support!
Devon & Cornwall Refugee Support are reliant on generous donations from supporters and the public and appreciate all organisations who contribute.
If you would like to donate please feel free to use the link below, give us a call or drop into the Masiande Centre.